Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Close Call....Way Too Close

Yesterday we went to place some flowers on my cousins grave in honor of Memorial Day. On our way home we were driving on a 2-lane highway and Nate and I were looking over to the left admiring a house. We both turn to look ahead and 2 cars collided literally RIGHT in front of us. The sound of the crash filled the air and debris flew all over while one car went spinning around to one side and the other was sent to the other side crashing into a fence and ditch. We swerved in between both cars avoiding them and the debris that had hit the ground. We immediately pulled over as our hearts were racing as fast as possible and myself about in tears fearing that there may be some seriously injured people. Nate ran over to each vehicle to check the state of the passengers as I called 911. The boys were sleeping in the car, so I stayed close to it to make sure the boys were ok and didn't wake up. The passengers in one of the cars was fine. The car that got sent into the ditch had some injuries- cuts, bruises, etc. and one man felt like there may have been some internal damage. So, we think all is ok. Atleast they were when they were taken to the hospital.
I have been playing this back in my mind over and over again. I keep thinking how lucky we were to have been spared. If we had just been 2 seconds earlier, we would have been a part of it. After getting the people off in the ambulance and filling out a witness statement, we headed home. I looked at my husband and my boys and said a little prayer of gratitude that we were protected. And I was so proud of my husband who, without hesitation, made sure those people were taken care of while we waited for the ambulance and police to arrive. It is an experience that I will never forget and have definitely learned something from.
Life is precious and fragile!

7 comments:

5 ibarras said...

WOW! My heart was racing just reading along...Someone was definitely watching over you! :)

Heather said...

Wow - what an experience. Glad you're okay!

Caytee said...

HOLY COW! You didn't tell me that today! I'm glad that you guys are ok too.

Jessi said...

That is terrifying! And to think that your kids were able to sleep through it. What a blessing.

Lindsay said...

Scary! Glad you guys are safe!

camille said...

I got your text :) thanks for remembering Neal and I am so glad that you guys didn't crash!

LOVE YOU!

Renae said...

Still makes me sick to think about that. I'm sooo grateful that you all are safe and sound :-) I couldn't bear for anything to happen to any of you!I love you!