Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Smallest Things


Colby's preschool is in the basement of his teacher's house. Love it! She is awesome. Anyway, She lives toward the end of a cul de sac. Every time I drop him and his buddy off for school, as I am driving away I have noticed a frail, little, old lady sitting in her house right in front of a big picture window, just looking out at the world. After a few days of observing her, I decided that I was going to wave to her every time I see her as I am driving away. So, I have done it the past few times with no physical response. Now, I don't know her situation or health status, but I sure hope she can see me. Even if she can't wave back, I hope it makes her smile inside. How great is it when someone just gives you a smile or wave? I love it! Even the smallest things like that can make us so happy and brighten our day. Our society seems to easily disregard the elderly, especially when they aren't our grandparents or relatives. But this woman, like all elderly people, is a human being and has lived a life. She had her first day of kindergarten, graduation from High School, wedding, and probably drove her kids to Preschool, just like I am doing now. And, hopefully, someday when I have lived my life and am old and frail, I sure hope people will still wave to me as I watch the outside world from my picture window.

4 comments:

Jessi said...

How nice of you. I think of my Grandparents across the country and hope that someone gives them the same respect and consideration you show that lady.

Heather said...

Michelle, you're so great! What a great reminder to us all to take time for the small and simple things of life.

Laura Call said...

Michelle, your sweet words made my heart swell and my eyes water. Thank you for sharing this! I think you are such an amazing person and truly an inspiration.

Abbi said...

How wonderful. I'm sure she appreciates you so much. I totally agree with you--the small things can make a world of a difference. Keep it up! :)