Thursday, March 4, 2010

Moving On

My Dad sold our house. Well, it is his house, but I still consider it mine too since I grew up there. I love that house! I am sad to see it go, but am SO happy for my Dad to move on. So many great memories there, like.......

numerous family gatherings


decorating gingerbread houses. I think this was the year the tradition started.


Just being plain old goofy,


Christmases. My Mom made them so special and magical!


Dark tag!

soaking in the hot tub


my Dad scaring the kids on the front porch every Halloween. He would come up with something new each year.

and......the rust colored carpet


A house is just a house until you fill it with family, laughter, gatherings, tears, and most of all, love. It then becomes a home....a sanctuary. This was my home for many years and I love it! I will miss it.


6 comments:

Caytee said...

Oh what precious memories! There's nothing like your childhood home.

Rex Vallis said...

We will miss that house - thank goodness for wonderful memories!

5 ibarras said...

some of my favorite memories are from when i was younger...packing a suitcase when we were coming over "just in case" and then we (me and you) would connive our parents into letting me stay a day or two:) and sitting down for family dinners that your mom always made SO special. treasured memories!!!

Laura Call said...

What a great post, Michelle! Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed that glimpse into your family's home... what a treasure.

DebLawson said...

This post just about made me cry! I loved all the pictures and your sharing the sweet memories of your childhood in that beloved home. Perhaps it's because my parents sold our childhood home not too long ago, but I know all the bitter-sweet feelings you are having now. ( Does this even make sense? I am so BRAIN DEAD these days! duh!)
Anyhow- have a wonderful trip home and may you feel all the love and comfort and memories of mom and your childhood as you help your pop move on... I'll be thinkin' of ya.... HUGS!

Anonymous said...

25 years of precious memories. We will have those forever....and we will always speak of them fondly. I like the way you chronicled some of the events. Such fun...it was a good home. I left a note for the new owners (young couple) and shared what the home meant to us and that I hoped they could make wonderful memories as well. We will all miss our home in Gig Harbor.