Saturday, April 11, 2009

"Special Remember Nana Day"

Today marks the 1 year Anniversary of my Mom's passing. It has been an emotional and special day. I decided a while back that I wanted to help the boys remember Nana on this day every year. So I decided that we could attach a note to her on a balloon and send it off. Nate thought it would be cool to go out to breakfast before the send-off, since that was something we rarely do, so it would be special, too. So.....we started the morning off for some grub at the IHOP.

Nate looks like he is half asleep. (hee hee) I assure you, he wasn't! :)




We all went and picked out our balloons. Then we got the balloons ready and called my family who were going to do the same thing at Mom's grave marker.


We all released them together. It was really special and neat. I wish we could have been physically there with the rest of my family, but this was close enough.


Here is Colby all excited about the balloons in the air!


I was glad that we were able to celebrate her and remember her today. I miss her. I have grown so much through the experience of her death. She is an amazing woman and left me so many gifts!

12 comments:

Jessi said...

What a great way to honor her memory! This will be a tradition I'm sure your boys will always remember.

Caytee said...

That is so neat! What a great way to remember her by. I sure thought a lot of her. And I'm so grateful she raised a wonderful girl I call my sister now!

The Luke Family said...

For some reason I cry every time you write anything about your mom.
I am glad you were able to remember her today that sounds very special!

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing that. What a great way to remember her.

Abbi said...

I love that idea! What a special time this will be for your family each year--and isn't it wonderful it's around Easter, too, when we celebrate life and Resurrection! Because of Christ's Atonement and Resurrection, your mom's spirit lives in paradise and you'll be able to be together again. I've been thinking of you a lot and I'm glad it looks like it's been a good day for you! I love you!

P.S. Your family is so handsome!

DebLawson said...

Wow, what a neat way to remember your awesome mom!
It's hard to believe that it's been a year.

You're such a great gal, Michelle! Your mom is sooo proud of you and the beautiful family you have!

Anonymous said...

Dawter....what a wonderful idea to remember and honor your Mom. Many of us to include her siblings were linked yesterday for that special moment. Thank YOU for all that you do. Thank YOU for your thoughtfullness. Thank YOU for your creativity. Her spirit with-in you is unmistakable.
With a whole bunch of LOVE and admiration.
POPS

Lindsay said...

That is such a great idea. I am sure it was so special for the boys!

Lindsay said...

That is such a great idea. I am sure it was so special for the boys!

Lori Muir said...

That's a really special way to remember her with the kids. How wonderful. I'm happy you can see the ways you've grown through the experience; we could all see that clearly in sacrament meeting! Great job on your talk. It was really something special. I liked how you made it really personal. I also liked the way you told the one about the silverware, and at the end of that story, you said, "I hope that's the way we all feel about our families." That was really touching.

camille said...

I love you Michelle!

Pam said...

Michelle, I just saw this post and I have tears running down my face. tomorrow it will be 4 weeks exactly since Felicity's passing and I want to take to boys to let off balloons too. I have to say the thing that touched me the most was your simple statement that you miss her. I can't imagine what it must be like for you and what the past year and more have been, but I do love you so much! I'm glad you got to remember your Mom with your boys and the rest of your family. Thanks for sharing!